Per Tariff for Chatfield Water Supply Corporation Section E. Service Rules and Regulations 19. Members Responsibility e. - The Corporation shall require each Member to have a cut-off valve within two feet of the meter on the Member's side of the meter for purposes of isolating the Member's service pipline and plumbing facilities from the Corporation's pressure. The valve shall meet AWWA standards (a ball valve is preferred). The Member's use of the Corporation's curb stop or other similar valve for such purposes is prohibited.Any damage to the Corporation's equipment shall be subject to service charges.
Who is required to have a shut-off?
All Member's are required to have a shut-off, installed at the Member's expense (within two feet of the meter). There are no exceptions to this rule.
Who can install a Member's shut-off?
There are no rules regarding who can install the Member's shut-off. However; in order to install a shut-off the Corporation's curb stop will need to be turned off prior to installation. The Corporation may allow a "State-licensed" plumber or "State certified" utility contractor to turn the Corporation's curb stop off. Keep in mind, if damage occurs to the curb stop you will be required to pay for the replacement of the curb stop. You may also contact Chatfield WSC at (903)345-3463 to schedule a time to have Chatfield WSC employees turn off the curb stop so a shut-off can be installed.
What if I don't have a required shut-off and need Chatfield WSC to turn water off for any reason?
Chatfield WSC will respond to turn off water, but if a shut-off is not currently installed or the shut-off isn't working the Corporation will charge the following:
- Service Charge - During Normal Business - $50.00 per hour
- Service Charge - After Normal Hours, Holidays, Weekends - Emergency - $100.00 per hour
- Service Charge - After Normal Hours, Holidays, Weekends - Non-Emergency - $125.00 per hour
How are Service Charges Determined?
- Service Charge - Normal Business Hours - Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. excluding holidays.
- Service Charge - After Normal Hours - Emergency - After Normal Hours, Holidays, and Weekends - Emergency is defined as the potential to cause negative impact to Corporation's water quality, distribution, or equipment that Corporation employee deems necessary. Very few calls will fit this catagory.
- Service Charge - After Normal Hours - Non-Emergency - After Normal Hours, Holidays, and Weekends - Does not have negative impact to Corporation's water quality, distribution, or equipment. The majority of calls fit this catagory. Keep in mind that just because it is a Member's emergency doesn't normally constitute a Corporation's emergency.
- After Hours Service Charge per hour rate starts when Corporation's employee leaves their home and stops when they return home.
If I don't have a shut-off and the Corporation turned my water off, will they turn it back on?
If the Member had the Corporation turn the water off due to lack of shut-off or because shut-off wasn't working, the Corporation will not turn water back on until the Member has a required shut-off installed.
What is the penalty for using the Corporation's curb stop?
A tampering charge will be added to the Member's monthly bill for using the Corporation's curb stop. If a Member breaks the Corporation's curb stop a charge will be added to the Member's bill for tampering, the service charges that apply, and for the replacement materials.
I'm not sure if I already have a shut-off. How do I know?
Look at the picture below. Inside the meter box or within two feet of the meter box there should be a curb stop, meter, and a shut-off. At the top of the picture (In Blue) are several shut-offs commonly found on the Member's side. At the bottom of the picture (In Red) are several different curb stops. Remember, these curb stops are for the Corporation's use only and Member's are prohibited from using them.
* As a rule of thumb, if a special tool is required to shut the water off it is probably the Corporation's curb stop and shall not be used by any Member. Member's shut-offs normally require no tools, just turned by hand.*